Category Archives: MDT 2012

Microsoft Deployment Toolkit 2012

MDT 2012 Error – Invalid credentials: A specified logon session does not exist. It may already have been terminated (80070520)

Mondays! I swear, all the fun stuff happens on Mondays…

Well, I’ve officially put in my two weeks notice at my current job, and am heading to become a full-time System Center consultant! I’m super excited. That said, it has created a long list of “to-do’s” before I leave my current position, which is what I am now trying to dig myself out from under.

One of the tasks I had was getting a Windows 8.1 Image up on our MDT server. No one was asking for it, but that’s often how things go in Higher Education – no one will ask for it forever, then one day decide they need it tomorrow. To save my coworkers the trouble, I figured I’d just do it now.

Anyway, after capturing the image and setting up the new deployment task sequence, I did my first trial deployment. It worked just fine from the boot cd, but not when running ‘litetouch.vbs’ from the network share. I was perplexed.

Specifically, I was getting this error:

Invalid credentials: A specified logon session does not exist. It may already have been terminated ( 80070520 )

I double checked my connection credentials, and they were, in fact correct. What ended up being the issue is that, somehow, similarly to the issue I posted about earlier on this blog, my permissions on my Deployment Share got messed up again.

I removed, saved, and re-added all the necessary permissions on our deployment share, and all is now working again! A simple fix to a simple error.

MDT 2012 Error – FAILURE: 8000

So we’ve got a few deployment servers here at the office, all of which I admin. Our production one is a bit old, so I set up a new MDT 2012 server to test things out on. It just so happens I do all the cool stuff on the test server, so sometimes our test becomes our production; welcome to IT in Higher Education!

Anyway, my co-workers were imaging from my test server one day when I got the complaint that imaging was no longer working. I was confused. I hadn’t touched anything lately, but I went to take a look.

The deployment would all of a sudden just stop. No errors (visibly), no screens, I was just left with the background of an MDT Windows PE session. Sigh.

I opened up ztigather.log with CMTrace (If you haven’t added this to your Mini PE disk, you’re missing out!) and found the following error: FAILURE: 8000: Running wscript.exe "X:\Deploy\Scripts\ZTIGather.wsf" /nolocalonly1

I wasn’t quite sure what in the world this meant, so I googled. Not much luck. I found a few notes about trying to run the ztigather.wsf script manually by copying the unattend.xml from the deployment share to the locally created ramdrive, so I attempted to do so.

Looking through the logs I could see that it mounted my deployment share properly at ‘Z:\’ so I didn’t suspect anything wrong at first, but when I tried to path out to actually get my unattend.xml file… I couldn’t!

As it turns out, my permissions on my Deployment Share permissions had changed, and the task sequence could no longer access the files on that share. That’s why nothing was showing up! It kept waiting to get files from the deployment share, and it never got anything back.

I remoted into my MDT server, went to my deployment share, made sure that permissions were set back to where they needed to be (Honestly, since it was easier and this is just my test server, I set it to allow ‘Everyone’ read permissions for a short time.) and all was well! We could once again deploy like MDT intended.